The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"NORTH ELLEL, (and South Ellel) a township and chapelry in the parish of Cockerham, hundred of Lonsdale South of the Sands, county palatine of Lancaster, 4 miles S.E. of Lancaster, its post town. Bay Horse and Galgate stations on the London and North-Western railway are both in this township. It is situated on the river Condor and the Preston canal, and contains the villages of Dolphinholme and Galgate. Here are two silk mills and a worsted factory, giving employment to most of the inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £150, in the patronage of the Vicar of Cockerham. The church is a stone edifice dedicated to St. John. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, also an infant school. Ellel Hall and Ellel Grange are the principal residences.