The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"EVERTON, a township in the parish of Walton-on-the-Hill, in the borough of Liverpool and county palatine Lancaster, 1 mile N. of Liverpool, of which it is a populous suburb. It is situated on high ground, commanding fine views over the sea, the town of Liverpool, the river Mersey, and part of Cheshire. There are quarries of red sandstone, and extensive water-works. The union workhouse for West Derby is in this township. There are five district churches, viz. St. George's, St. Augustine's, Christchurch, St. Peter's, and St. Chrysostom's; that dedicated to St. George was erected in 1814, at the cost of £12,000; it stands on the spot formerly occupied by the beacon erected in the 13th century by Ranulph de Blundeville. All the livings are perpetual curacies in the diocese of Chester, the two first-named of the value of £200. Here is a Roman Catholic cathedral not yet completed."