The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"FARRINGTON, a township in the parish of Penwortham, hundred of Leyland, county palatine Lancaster, 3 miles S. of Preston, its post town, and 62 N.W. of Chorley. It is situated on the river Lostock, and is a station on the London and North-Western railway. Cotton-spinning gives employment to the greater part of the inhabitants. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under the Enclosure Act in 1819. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £120, in the gift of the Incumbent of Penwortham. The church is a modern structure dedicated to St. Paul. Here is an endowed free school, a factory school, and Sunday-schools. Farrington House and Farrington Lodge are the principal residences. Lawrence Rawstorne, Esq., is lord of the manor."