1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"FINSTHWAITE, a parochial chapelry in the parish of Colton and hundred of Lonsdale North of the Sands, county palatine Lancaster, 6 miles S. of Hawkshead, and 8 N.E. of Ulverston. Cartmel is its post town. It is situated on the western side of Windermere Lake, and includes the hamlet of Newby Bridge. Basket making and bobbin turning is carried on here. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £76, in the gift of the landowners. The church is a small stone edifice dedicated to St. Peter. There is a school which possesses a small endowment. The Duke of Buccleuch is lord of the manor."