The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"FLIXTON, a parish in the hundred of Salford, county palatine Lancaster, 7 miles S.W. of Manchester, its post town. It is bounded on the N. and W. by the river Irwell, and S. by the Mersey, and includes the hamlet of Urmston. The surface is generally level, and the soil in some parts inclines to a peaty moss. Clover is extensively cultivated. The village is considerable, and contains some good residences of the Manchester merchants. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £150, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. The Wesleyans have a chapel here. There is a school with an endowment of £10 per annum."