The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"FORMBY, a chapelry in the parish of Walton-on-the-Hill, hundred of West Derby, county palatine Lancaster, 7 miles W. of Ormskirk, and 12 N.W. of Liverpool, its post town. It is situated on the western coast, in the vicinity of the river Alt, and includes the hamlets of Armsdale and Raven Meets. The Liverpool and Stockport branch of the West Lancashire and Yorkshire railway has a station hero. At Formby Point are two beacon-lights and a lofty red tower, forming a conspicuous landmark. Here are two district churches, the livings of which are both perpetual curacies in the diocese of Chester-St. Peter's, of the value of £124, in the gift of the Rector of Walton; and St. Luke's, value £50. The former is rather an old edifice, containing monuments of the Formby and other families; and the latter a modern stone structure. The parochial charities consist of £34, being the endowment of the free grammar school, and £10 for the poor. The Roman Catholics have a chapel and school. There are two other schools in the place. In the village is a very old stone cross. Formby Hall, an ancient seat, is the principal residence. Formby gives name to one of the main approaches to Liverpool, distinguished as the New Formby, or Victoria channel, nearly in a line with the Crosby, or main channel. It is distinguished by a floating light, situated in N. lat. 53° 31' and W. long. 3° 10'."