The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"FOULRIDGE, a township in the parish of Whalley, higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, county palatine Lancaster, 2 miles N. of Colne. It is a station on the Midland railway. The village is pleasantly situated on the Leeds canal. There are stone-quarries extensively worked, and manufactories of cotton goods, affording employment to the people. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a National school in which Divine service is performed on Sunday. The Liverpool and Leeds canal has two large reservoirs here."