The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"GREAT CROSBY, a township and chapelry in the parish of Sefton, in the county of Lancaster, 5 miles N.W. of Liverpool. It is a station on the Liverpool and Southport section of the Lancashire and Yorkshire line. The village, which is considerable, is situated near the river Mersey's mouth, and is resorted to in summer as a bathing-place. The township also contains the principal part of Waterloo, a much frequented bathing-place, Little Brighton, and Blundell Sands. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £250, in the patronage of the Rector of Sefton. The church is dedicated to St. Luke. There is a grammar school under the direction of the Company of Merchant Taylors of London, as trustees of Harrison's charity; and Halsall's foundation school for girls, also possessed of a considerable endowment, which has recently been augmented by the sale of the school lands. Harrison's grammar school has an endowment of £50 per annum, and Halsall's girls' school £18. The chief residence is Crosby House, the seat of John Myers, Esq., M.P. for the county. Crosby Channel is the main entrance to the Mersey, being three quarters of a mile broad, with 6 to 10 fathoms water, and is distinguished by a fixed light 81 feet high, visible for 12 miles, which was erected in 1839.