1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"GREENHALGH-WITH-THISTLETON, a township in the parish of Kirkham, hundred of Amounderness, county palatine Lancaster, 3 miles N.W. of Kirkham, its post town, and 4 S.E. of Poulton-le-Fylde. The Preston and Fleetwood branch line of railway passes in the vicinity. The township includes the hamlet of Esprick. A castle belonging to the Stanleys once stood here, of which there are some remains. (This is incorrect, Greenhalgh Castle was near Garstang.) The people are employed in agriculture. The Independents have a chapel."