The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"GRESSINGHAM, a township and chapelry in the parish of Lancaster, hundred of Lonsdale South of the Sands, county palatine Lancaster, 8 miles N.E. of the city of Lancaster, its post town. The Hornby station on the London and North-Western railway is 2 miles S.E. of the village. It is situated on the river Lyme, and includes the hamlet of Eskrigg. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £80, in the patronage of the vicar. The chapel is built of stone, with a handsome Norman porch. There are charities of about £2 yearly value, and a parochial school for boys and girls. Red Well is a chalybeate spring in the neighbourhood."