1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"GRIMSARGH-WITH-BROCKHOLES, a township and chapelry in the parish of Preston, hundred of Amounderness, county palatine Lancaster, 4 miles N.E. of Preston, its post town. It is situated in the vicinity of the river Ribble, which is here crossed by a wooden bridge. The Preston and Longridge railway has a station here. The village is small. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £77, in the patronage of the vicar. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a plain structure with fine E. window of stained glass. It has been much beautified and enlarged. The charities are about £4 per annum. There is a public school, partly endowed. Grimsargh Hall and Red Scar are the principal residences. William A. Cross, Esq., is lord of the manor."