The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"HALL-CARR, a township in the parish of Bury, higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, county Lancaster, 4 miles S.E. of Haslingdon, and 6 N. of Bury. It is united to Coupe Lench and Newhall-Hey. The village is considerable, and is situated near the rivers Irwell and Roche, and the East Lancashire railway."