The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"HARWOOD, a chapelry and township in the parish of Bolton-le-Moors, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 3 miles N.E. of Bolton railway station, and 4 from Bury The village, which is considerable, contains calico and dimity mills, and a colliery. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £100. Christ Church is a modern structure of stone, with a small tower. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel, and there is a National school."