The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"HAWCOAT, a hamlet in the parish of Dalton in Furness, hundred of Lonsdale North of the Sands, county Lancaster, 3 miles S.W. of Dalton, and 1½ mile N.W. of Furness Abbey railway station. In conjunction with the village of New Barns it forms a township. The soil is clayey loam, on a clay subsoil. There are some stone quarries. The village, which is small, is situated on an eminence commanding an extensive view, including the coast of Wales, the Isle of Man, the Fylde, and the town of Fleetwood. There is a National school at New Barns. The Duke of Buccleuch is lord of the manor."