1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"HEAP, (or Heywood), a township in the parish of Bury, county Lancaster, 3 miles E. of Bury. It is situated near the river Roche, in the centre of a large manufacturing district. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the cotton mills. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £150, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, which is a modern structure, is dedicated to St. James. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans, also National and other schools.