The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"HEYSHAM, a parish in the hundred of Lonsdale South of the Sands, county Lancaster, 5 miles W. of Lancaster, its post town, and 3 S.W. of Poulton-le-Sands. The village, which is small, is situated on the coast between Lancaster and Morecambe bays, and is a favourite watering place during the summer season. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture, with about 170 acres of moss. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £470. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester, value £504. The church is situated on a rock, and is dedicated to St. Peter. It is an ancient stone structure with an open turret containing two bells. There is an endowed school for the free education of eight boys and a similar number of girls. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Near to the church are the ruins of a small oratory or chapel, and several excavations in the rocks resembling the shape of coffins."