The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"HEYWOOD, a chapelry in the parish of Bury, county Lancaster, 3 miles E. of Bury, and 39½ from Liverpool by the W. section of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, on which it is a station. The Manchester and Bury branch has also a station here. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the cotton and woollen mills. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £400, in the patronage of the Rector of Bury. The church, dedicated to St. Luke, is a modern structure. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, and Swedenborgians, also a National school."