The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"HIGHAM-BOOTH, a township in the parish of Whalley, higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, county Lancaster, 4 miles N.W. of Burnley railway station. There is a cotton manufactory in the neighbourhood. The soil is clay and subsoil rock. The inhabitants frequent the church of Fence. The Wesleyans have a chapel at Higham, also a National school. The Duke of Buccleuch is lord of the manor.
WEST-CLOSE-BOOTH, a township in the parish of Whalley, county Lancaster, 3 miles N.W. of Burnley. It is joined with Higham."