The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"HOOLE, a parish in the hundred of Leyland, county Lancaster, 8 miles S.W. of Preston, its post town, 11 N.E. of Ormskirk, and 2 from the Cockerbar railway station on the East Lancashire line. It is situated on the river Douglas or Astland, and on the old turnpike road between Preston and Liverpool. This parish was separated in 1642 from that of Croston, and contains the townships of Much and Little Hoole. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil is partly a marly loam, alternated with peat-moss and marsh. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £280. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester, value £280. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, was formerly a chapel-of-ease to Croston. It is a small edifice with a low tower containing one bell. The interior of late has undergone thorough repair. There is an endowed National school for both sexes. A commodious brick building has recently been erected as a schoolhouse, in which a Sunday-school is held. The parochial charities produce about £29 per annum. George Anthony Leigh Keck, Esq., Rev. Richard Renshaw Rothwell, and R. R. Rothwell, Esq., are lords the manor and chief landowners."