1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"HORWICH, a chapelry in the parish of Deane, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 5 miles N.W. of Bolton, its post town, 5 N.E. of Chorley, and 15 N.W. of Manchester. It is situated on the high road from Bolton to Chorley, and 1 mile from its station on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. It was formerly a Roman station. A large portion of the inhabitants are employed in cotton printing and bleaching, which latter is carried on to a considerable extent. The coal-pits are very productive, also some extensive stone-quarries. The reservoir of the Liverpool waterworks, which is of great extent, adjoins the W. end of this district. The soil is various. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £334. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was erected in 1831, at an expense of £5,848 15s. It is a stone structure, with a lofty tower containing six bells. The interior of the church contains a stained window, also a monument to Joseph Ridgway, Esq. The charities include a bequest of £142 per annum for church purposes by the late Joseph Ridgway, with a further endowment of £100 to the poor, the same amount to the minister, and £40 to the church school, at the decease of his widow. There is a National school. The Independents have two chapels, and the Wesleyans one."