The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"HUNCOAT, a township in the parish of Whalley, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, county Lancaster, 4 miles S.W. of Burnley, 1½ mile from Accrington, and 7 miles from Blackburn. It is astation on the East Lancashire railway. The village is situated on gently rising ground, on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, and consists of a few scattered farmhouses and cottages. The Accrington reservoir is situated on the borders of this township. The Wesleyans and Independents have each a chapel."