The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"IRELETH, a hamlet and chapelry in the parish of Dalton in Furness, hundred of Lonsdale North of the Sands, county Lancaster, 2 miles from Dalton, and 6 W. of Ulverston. The chapelry contains the villages of Lindale and Martin. It is situated on the river Dudden, and has a station at Lindale, on the Furness line of railway. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the iron mines, of which there are a great number in the neighbourhood. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £100, in the patronage of the Vicar of Dalton. The church is situated on rising ground overlooking the river Dudden. There are two parochial schools, one at Ireleth, and the other at Lindale."