The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"KIRKBY-IRELETH, (or Irleth), a chapelry in the parish of Dalton-in-Furness, hundred of North Lonsdale, county Lancaster, 18 miles N.W. of Lancaster. It is situated near Morecombe Bay and the Furness line of railway. Iron ore and limestone are found. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £100, in the patronage of the vicar."