The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"KIRKDALE, a township in the parish of Walton-on-the-Hill, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 2 miles N. by E. of Liverpool, of which borough it forms part. It is situated near the Leeds canal and the river Mersey. It has a station at Bootle-lane, on the Liverpool and Bury section of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. It forms a populous suburb of Liverpool, and contains the county gaol, sessions-house, and Liverpool Industrial Schools, which last were built in 1845, at the cost of £32,000, and educate about 1,200 pauper children, who are taught trades, &c., at an annual expense of above £10,000. In the play-ground is a model of a ship. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £300. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a modern edifice. There are United Presbyterian and Independent chapels, also two National schools. There is a cemetery for all denominations at Walton-road."