The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LANE BRIDGE, a village in the parish of Whalley, county Lancaster, 2 miles from Burnley, and 21 N. of Manchester. It is situated near the junction of the rivers Barn and Calder, on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. Most of the inhabitants are engaged in the neighbouring cotton-spinning and printing mills, and in the collieries. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £150, in the patronage of the crown and bishop alternately. The church is a modern edifice dedicated to St. Paul. There are several Dissenting places of worship and schools."