1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"LEES, a hamlet in the district of Knott Lane, parish of Ashton-under-Lyne, county Lancaster, 8½ miles N.E. of Manchester, and 2 from Ashton-under-Lyne, its post town. It is a station on the Oldham and Delph branch of the Manchester and Leeds railway. The village is situated on the road from Oldham to Huddersfield. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the neighbouring factories, which are numerous and extensive. A short distance from the village is a chalybeate spring, called Lea Spa. It is joined with Crossbank to form a chapelry. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £150. The church, dedicated to St. John, is a stone structure, erected in 1742. There are National schools. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Fairs are held in the spring and autumn."