1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"LITTLE LEVER, a chapelry in the parish of Bolton-le-Moors, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 3 miles S.E. of Great Bolton, its post town, and. 1 mile N.W. of Bradley Fold station on the Liverpool and Bury line of railway. It is situated at the junction of the Bolton and Bury and the Bolton and Manchester canals, being bounded on the W. by the river Irwell. There are several collieries, cotton-mills, chemical works, and bleach-grounds. The village is populous. Most of the houses are modern. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £150, in the patronage of the Vicar of Bolton. The church, dedicated to St. Matthew the Evangelist, is a small structure of brick, with a turret containing one bell. There are National and Sunday schools. The Wesleyans and Independents have places of worship. Lever Hall, an ancient building, was once occupied by Bishop Bridgeman.