The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LONGTON, a chapelry in the parish of Penwortham, hundred of Leyland, county palatine of Lancaster, 4 miles S.W. of Preston, its post town. It is situated on the bank of the river Ribble. The village is a straggling place, about 2 miles in length, through which the old road from Liverpool to Preston passes. The district for the most part is agricultural. There are malt-kilns and a brewery. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £148. The chapel is a brick structure of the last century. There is a free grammar school, open to all, having an endowment of £30. The other charities produce in all about £48 per annum. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels."