The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LONSDALE, one of the subdivisions of the county palatine of Lancaster, situate in the northern part of the county. It comprises the two hundreds or divisions, "North of the Sands," and "South of the Sands." The first includes the town of Breughton, and the parishes of Aldingham, Cartmel, Colton, Dalton-in-Furness, Hawkshead, Kirkby-Ireleth, Pennington, Ulverston, and Urswick, comprising an area of about 137,500 acres. The latter hundred contains the parishes of Bolton-le-Sands, Claughton, Halton, Heysham, Melling, Tatham, Tunstall, Warton, Whittington, with portions of Burton-in-Kendal, Cockerham, Lancaster, and Thornton-in-Lonsdale, comprising together about 128,250 acres."