The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LOWER DARWEN, a township in the parish of Blackburn, lower division of the hundred of Blackburn, in the county of Lancaster 2½ miles S.E. of Blackburn. The living is a perpetual curacy- in the diocese of Manchester, value £150 in the patronage of the vicar. A chapel was erected by the Parliamentary Commissioners in 1829, at the cost of £5,500.