The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LYDGATE, a township in the parish of Halsall, hundred of West Derby, county palatine of Lancaster, 4 miles S.W. of Ormskirk, its post town. The Leeds and Liverpool canal passes through the township. The village, which is considerable, is situated near Halsall Moss, which is famed for its "fit-turf," used in the manufacture of candles. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £73, in the gift of the rector of the parish. The church is a Gothic structure, with a square tower surmounted by pinnacles. The Roman Catholics have a church, built of stone, with a tower and spire, and window of stained glass. There is a Roman Catholic school. Here are extensive ruins of Lydiate Abbey, which at the time of the Dissolution was in an unfinished state. Lydiate Hall is now a farm."