The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"MAGHULL, a township and chapelry in the parish of Halsall, hundred of West Derby, county palatine of Lancaster, 5 miles N.W. of Ormskirk, its post town. The Leeds and Liverpool canal passes through the township, as does also the western section of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, which has a station here. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture. The living is a perpetual curacy's in the diocese of Chester, value £155, in the patronage of the rector of the parish. The chapel, which is an ancient edifice, has been repaired and enlarged. There is a school with an endowment of £12 per annum."