The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"MORECAMBE, a bay at the mouths of the rivers Kent and Leven, between Lancaster and Furness, on the coast of Lancashire. It is the Moricambe estuary of Ptolemy, and is 8 miles by 10. The Morecambe branch of the London and North-Western railway, which is only 3½ miles in length, terminates here at Poulton Creek. The bay is traversed by numerous shifting sands, as the Cartmel, Wharfe, &c. The tide has twice in the present century, viz: in 1831 and 1849, risen above 6 feet higher than usual. There is a guide stationed here by the government to conduct persons crossing the sands. Overlooking the bay is Morecambe Lodge, a modern edifice."