The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"MUCH-WOOLTON, a chapelry in the parish of Childwall, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 6½ miles S.E. of Liverpool, its post town. The village, which is extensive, contains numerous streets well lighted with gas. Much-Woolton, anciently called Wolveton, belonged to the Norris, Brettargh, Ireland, and Lathom families. Stone is quarried here to a great extent. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £220, in the patronage of the Vicar of Childwall. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a modern stone structure. There are National schools for both sexes. Woolton Hall, the principal residence, is situated in a commanding position. The Marquis of Salisbury is lord of the manor. An annual wake is held at Woolton Green on Midsummer-day."