The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"NEWCHURCH-IN-PENDLE-FOREST, a chapelry and township in the parish of Whalley, higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, county Lancaster, 6 miles N. by W. of Burnley, and 4 S. by W. of Clitheroe. The village, which is considerable, is situated near the rivers Calder and Ribble, and about a mile from the Leeds and Liverpool canal. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the cotton and worsted mills, and in the weaving of mousselines de laine. The substratum abounds in coal, of which there are several pits in operation, and there are also quarries of sandstone and carboniferous limestone. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £150, in the patronage of Hulme's Trustees. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There are places of worship belonging to the Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and other sects. There are National and Lancasterian schools."