Newchurch in Rossendale
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"NEWCHURCH-IN-ROSSENDALE, a township and chapelry in the parish of Whalley, higher division of Blackburn hundred, county Lancaster, 20 miles N. of Manchester, its post town, 2½ miles S.W. of Bacup, and 3½ E. by S. of Haslingden. It is a station on the East Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. It is an improving place, situated on an eminence near the river Ribble, and on the old high road from Burnley to Manchester. The township is bounded at the nether extremity by the river Irwell, and includes the hamlets of Booth-Fold, Clough-Fold, and Water-Foot. The village is very extensive, and the inhabitants are principally employed in the cotton and woollen mills. There are also extensive collieries and quarries of freestone and slate. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £500, in the patronage of the Vicar of Whalley. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, has a square embattled tower containing a clock and six bells. It was rebuilt in 1826 on the site of an ancient chapel dedicated to the Holy Trinity. It contains a Caen stone pulpit, richly carved, which was added in 1854. In 1711 a grammar school was erected at the expense of Mr. John Kershaw, who bequeathed 60 acres of land and some house property for its support. There are National schools for both sexes, and Sunday-schools at Clough-Fold and Water-Foot. The Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Baptists, have each a place of worship. Height Side House, Springfield, Spring Hill, and Thistlemount are the principal residences. The Duke of Buccleuch is lord of the manor."