Newton with Scales
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"NEWTON-WITH-SCALES, a township in the parish of Kirkham, hundred of Amounderness, county Lancaster, 1 mile S.E. of Kirkham, and 7 miles W. of Preston. It is a small straggling village, situated near the Fylde-road, from Kirkham to Preston. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. This township is in conjunction with Clifton-with-Salwivick. The inhabitants frequent the small chapel of Lund. There is a blue-coat school, founded in 1707 by John Hornby, for the maintenance, clothing, and education of boys of this township, the annual income of which now amounts to about £700."