The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"OSMOTHERLEY, a township in the parish of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale North of the Sands, county Lancaster, 3 miles from the parish church, and 2½ N.W. of Ulverston. The township consists of a few straggling farmhouses. There is a Church school, endowed with £16 per annum, in which Divine service is performed every alternate Sunday. The Duke of Buccleuch is lord of the manor."