Hide

Out Rawcliffe

hide
Hide

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"OUT RAWCLIFFE, a township and chapelry in the parish of St. Michael-on-Wyre, county Lancaster, 6 miles S.W. of Garstang, its post town, and 4½ of Poulton-le-Fylde. The township, which is much scattered, is situated on the river Wyre, and is wholly agricultural. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £105, in the patronage of the Vicar of St. Michael-on-Wyre. The church, dedicated to St. John, was erected in 1838, on a site of land presented by F. R. W. Ffrance, Esq., by whom its expense was most liberally defrayed. It was designed after the ruins of Glastonbury abbey. There is a National school for both sexes. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. R. W. Ffrance, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner.