The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"PADIHAM, a township and chapelry in the parish of Whalley, higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, county Lancaster, 3 miles N.W. of Burnley, its post town, and 11-2 mile from the Rosgrove railway station, on the E. section of the Lancashire and Yorkshire line. The village, which is large, is situated on the banks of the river Calder, and on the road from Burnley to Clitheroe. A large portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the cotton mills. There are collieries and stone-quarries. The land is chiefly in pasture. The soil is of a heavy clay, with a subsoil of shale. The Leeds and Liverpool canal passes through the chapelry. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £131. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing six bells. The chancel has a painted window. The church was enlarged in 1777, and again in 1822. The register dates from Queen Elizabeth's time. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum. There are a British and two National schools for both sexes, the latter endowed with an annuity of £30. The Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship, with Sunday-schools attached. The Duke of Buccleuch is lord of the manor. An annual fair is held on the 12th of August for pedlery, and cattle fairs in May and September."