The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"PENDLEBURY, a township in the parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 4 miles N.W. of Manchester, its post town. It is a prosperous village, situated on the Bolton and Bury canal. There are several collieries, besides cotton and bed-tick manufactories, which give employment to a large number of the inhabitants'. There is a railway tunnel underneath the village connecting Patricroft with the Clifton junction. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £200. The church, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, was erected in 1843. There is also the perpetual curacy of Christ Church, value £219, in the patronage of the bishop. There is an endowed National school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. The principal residence is Agecroft Hall, supposed to have been built before the time of Richard II., and in the chapel is a stained window with the royal arms, presented by John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, to the Langley family, who then resided here, and in which Cardinal Langley was born"