The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"PENKETH, a township in the parish of Prescot, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 3 miles W. of Warrington, its post town. It is a station on the Warrington, Runcorn, and St. Helen's railway. The village is situated near the Sankey canal and Fidlers' Ferry, on the river Mersey. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. There is a brewery. The Friends have a school in the neighbourhood."