The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"PENNINGTON, a township in the parish of Leigh, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 1 mile S. of Leigh, part of which town is situated within this township The village, which is very considerable, is situated on the Bolton and Kenyon branch of the London and North Western railway. A portion of the inhabitants are employed in the cotton-mills. The neighbourhood abounds in coal and lime of a superior quality. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £200, in the patronage of trustees. The church is a modern structure. There are places of worship for the Wesleyans and Swedenborgians. There is a National school."