The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"PILKINGTON, a township in the parish of Prestwich, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 5 miles N.W. of Manchester, and 4 S.W. of Bury. It is a populous district, containing the hamlets of Unsworth, Stand, Outwood, and Whitefield, and the poorhouse for the Salford union. A large portion of the inhabitants are employed in the silk and cotton mills. A free grammar school was founded in 1688 by Henry Siddall, which has an income from land of £50. There are two other endowed schools."