1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"PLEASINGTON, a township in the parish of Blackburn, lower division of the hundred of Blackburn, county Lancaster, 2½ miles S.W. of Blackburn. It is a station on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. The village, which is of small extent and irregularly built, is situated on a height. The inhabitants are wholly engaged in agriculture. There is a Roman Catholic chapel, called Pleasington Priory, and dedicated to SS. Mary and John; it was erected at an outlay of £20,000, defrayed by the late John Francis Butler, Esq., and was opened in 1819. There is an endowed free school. Pleasington Hall and Feniscowles Hall are the principal residences. J. B. Bowden, Esq., is lord of the manor."