Poulton le Sands
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"POULTON-LE-SANDS, a township and chapelry in the parish of Lancaster, hundred of Lonsdale South of the Sands, county Lancaster, 3½ miles N.W. of Lancaster, its post town. It is situated on Morecambe Bay, and on the Preston and Lancashire railway, which has a branch line to Morecambe. It is a bathing place and subport to Lancaster. The North Western hotel stands near the bay, from which there is a prospect over the bay and the mountains of Westmoreland, Cumberland, and Yorkshire. The town is governed by a local board of health, established in 1852. There are steam-packets plying three times a week between Morecambe and Belfast. The township contains the hamlets of Bare and Torrisholme. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £120, in the patronage of the Vicar of Lancaster. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was erected in 1745, with a tower containing one bell. There is a National school for both sexes, including infants. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. The charities consist of lands bequeathed by Francis Bowes in 1732 for a school now producing an income of about £35 per annum."