The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"QUARLTON, a township in the parish of Bolton le Moors, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 5 miles N.E. of Bolton, and three-quarters of a mile S.E. of Chapeltown railway station. The principal portion of the inhabitants are employed in the collieries and calico print works. The soil is of various quality. H. Wright, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."