The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"RAINFORD, a chapelry in the parish of Prescot, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 6 miles N.E. of Prescot, its post town, and 4½ from St. Helen's. It is a station on the W. section of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. A considerable portion of the land now drained was formerly a morass. There are tobacco-pipe and crucible manufactories. The village is considerable. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £135, in the patronage of the Vicar of Prescot. The church, which was built as a chapel-of-ease to Prescot, is an ancient edifice. The charities produce about £30 per annum, which goes towards the support of a school."