The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"RAMSGRAVE, a township in the parish and hundred of Blackburn, county Lancaster, 2½ miles N.W. of Blackburn. It forms part of the chapelry of Mellor. A large portion of the township is occupied by the East Lancashire railway. The land is partly in pasture, with a soil and subsoil of clay. Stanley Hall, the old manor house, is now converted into a farm dwelling. Lord de Tabley is lord of the manor."