The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"REDDISH, a township in the parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 2 miles N. of Stockport, and 5 S.E. of Manchester. It is a station on the Stockport and Staleybridge branch of the London and North-Western railway. The village, which is considerable, is situated near the canal. A portion of the inhabitants are employed in the cotton and paper mills."